Monday, August 29, 2011

School Days: Nonets, Haikus, Cinquains


I have had quite a bit of time to myself the past few weeks since my children have returned to school.  Only my three year old son is at home, and out of the three, he is the best at entertaining himself. In fact, on most days he prefers to play alone.  I think he is going to be an engineer of some kind.   This free time has given me a chance to get back in touch with my creativity--something that disappeared about four or five years ago.  Here's a couple of poems I've written, in specific styles, to help me get in touch with my inner spark of creation.  I hope you enjoy them.

Note: Nonets are nine line poems with 9 syllables in the first line, 8 in the second, and so on.  A cinquain is a five line poem with a syllabic structure of 2, 4, 6, 8, 2 syllables per line.  A haiku is a three line poem with a syllabic structure of 5, 7, 5 syllables per line.

Ducks: A Nonet
All my ducks are in a row, and yet
symmetry is denied to me.
I can't get them evenly
spaced and one's head turns left.
They ignore my voice
and do their thing.
I don't like
these ducks
much.

Hidden Sunshine Haiku
City streets are gray.
Sunshine seems to be hidden.
It's up the ladder.

Sand Art Haiku
Water rushes in
swirls the sand into art form
and then destroys it.

A Nonet: Dance Hall Pleasures
Bodies sway to Cole Porter. The smoke,
hugging the dance-hall walls with lust,
twines around young, smart couples.
It rubs against hot skin
fragrant with desire.
Seducing them,
making sin,
so much
fun.


Abandoned: Haiku
A crisis happened
I had to get away fast
I left God behind

Shadow Cinquain
The sun
hangs low right now.
The afternoon ends soon.
You walk away without my heart.
I laughed.


No comments:

Post a Comment