Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thank You Mr. Emerson: Laugh Often and Much

"To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded!"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Damn if Ralph didn't get the secret to success just right!  Seriously, this quote says it all and so very eloquently too.  I came across this statement a while back and I really felt as if Mr. Emerson spoke directly to me. All of these things make for a successful, productive, and meaningful life.  Each aspect of the saying provides invaluable advice, but I love the part, "To laugh often and much," the most.  I sincerely believe laughter provides the very best stress relief in which a person can engage.  It makes your entire body and soul joyful, and when you laugh, you do not have room for sadness, strife, or misery.  Laughter squeezes out those feelings entirely, leaving no room for anything but pure, unadulterated bliss.

My favorite way in which to either tickle myself or someone else remains making an unexpectedly shocking remark.  People usually view me as someone reticent, quiet, even prudish.  I give the impression in many instances that I do not enjoy ribald humor, blue jokes, or innuendo of the less-than-wholesome kind.  Therefore, when I pop off with a quip that remarks on anything remotely scatalogical or sexual or inappropriate, my friends and acquaintances literally turn red wtih laughter.  The shock, moreso than anything else, makes them guffaw and chortle.  I always appreciate this response because in turn, it makes me laugh until my sides hurt, until I cannot catch my breath, and tears stream down my face.  Afterwards, no matter how badly I may  have been feeling prior to the hilarity, I am upbeat and overwhelmingly happy.  This feeling may not last terribly long, or even long enough to banish the bad feelings I hold but for mere moments, but it certainly goes a long way in making me feel better overall, and definitely creates a hopefulness that I will be happy again.

Recently my life, as little, quiet and peaceful as it may seem to others, has been filled with overwhelming amounts of stress.  Crankiness, edginess, and occasional hopelessness have dominated my moods lately.  Laughter, my saving grace, has helped me through these stressful times.  I rely on it.  I depend on its ability to make me more present in my own life, to remind me of the beauty that resides in everything around me if I just choose to see it. I think I will watch a comedy, or read a humorous article, or even just think of things that have made me laugh in the past.  I could use a pick-me-up today because I feel a bit bummed, and as the cliched saying goes, "Laughter is the best medicine."  I think I'll take two and call you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment