Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I'm A Dreamer Too

                                                              


Sitting at my computer desk this evening I did what I normally do and began perusing youtube for some interesting music to entertain me.  Earlier in the day, someone in passing conversation mentioned the Beatles and that prompted me take a look into their songs again.  Back in high school, I came across the Beatles and immediately fell in love with their style, their harmonies, both the simplicity and intricacies of their melodies and lyrics.  I actually wore out the tape of their greatest hits on my Walkman my senior year.  


While going through the song suggestions, I came across Imagine by John Lennon.  He wrote this song after his departure from the Beatles.  I had heard it before many times, but failed to listen closely to the lyrics.  I listened closely tonight and the song moved me deeply.  The words amaze me. The ideas behind the words encompass much of what I think about how an ideal world would exist.  "Imagine all the people sharing all the world."  I love this.  A perfect world would consist of people treating each other kindly and with respect.  People would live in the moment, acknowledging the beauty in all things, and they most definitely would recognize and revere the connection between themselves and others.  


I might be a dreamer too.  No, scratch that....I am a dreamer.  I dream of world in which people embrace the best of themselves and their nature.  I dream of a world in which people get along with one another, both in interpersonal relationships as well as international relationships.  I want to live in a world where people focus their energies on eradicating poverty, hunger, disease, and ignorance.  We spend too much of our collective time on selfish pursuits and negativity.  We act and think and move from points of suspicion, distrust and dislike. Like John Lennon, I dream of world where people act and move from a place of love. " You may say that I am a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Someday I hope that you will join us, and the world will live as one."

No comments:

Post a Comment