Tuesday, May 8, 2012

...And and other Poems



...And

...and when I breathe
is its not oxygen that flows through my body--
giving life to a life less-lived.
You and your Name
unceasingly pulse in my veins.

My thoughts, once mine alone
have grown
disobedient and unruly by the influence
of your stealthy magic.

Bewitched by words and quiet moments,
you steal pieces of me day by day.
I notice.
But my fear is gentled by the knowledge
you are a delicate thief.

When I open my stolen eyes,
I see truth
on the faces of passing people
on wind-kissed grass and leaves
on the beams of sun and moon
whispering solely for me,
"Yes, yes, yes....it is love."

...and in all the small, beautiful ways
of a tender, surreptitious theft
my heart is the last to be taken
to disappear fully into you.


Mercury Slick


God rubbed the sky raw,
leaving vermilion scars
to weep crimson drops into the sea.
He burnt the edges of time to umber
and the ink of eons purpled then pinked
and golden stars to forgot to wink
and slept silently on the horizon.
We walked upon silvered glass
dipping our toes into mercury slick.
As kinetic bundles of energy
man-made, woman born
we seemed an affront to nature.

Swimming Lessons


Teach me how to swim
to take flight beneath the waves.
Like a bird, I'll fly.

Exhale His Kiss


Touched again tonight.
My aching ended briefly by his hands.
Such a hot, diminutive reprieve from myself,
begins it's retreat, and contentment
runs slowly through and out.
My body is a sieve,
unable to retain any warmth.
My needs are greedy and untamed,
and I, not charmed by even the silverest
of tongues, am left bereft.
This moment of hope,
silenced by egregious, unreachable desires
dies slowly as I
exhale his kiss.


1 comment: