Friday, January 20, 2012

Love Letters to the Universe

I'm Yours
Well open up your eyes and see like me
Open up your plans and damn your free
Look into your heart and you'll find love, love, love love
Listen to the music of the moment people dance and sing
We are one big family 
And it's our God-intended right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved
So I won't hesitate, no more no more
It cannot wait I'm sure
There's no need to complicate, our time is short
This is our fate
I'm yours.


I recently watched an interview in which singer, Jason Mraz articulated his thoughts regarding his popular song, "I'm Yours." He wrote the song as his love letter to the universe, committing himself to embracing what the world had in store for him. I already adored this song because of the melody and lyrics, but his explanation managed to make me love it even more. He seemed to express some of the same ideas I hold regarding how life should be lived if one is to live it well. In addition to being a truthful ode to life, the song inspires me when I need motivation to not give into my penchant for over-thinking things, or my tendency to fall prey to mild depression on occasion. As of late, it is my panacea for all things that ail me.


I posted the section of lyrics that speak most me.  "Open up your plans and damn your free." I totally embrace the idea of living freely without the fear of the unknown future, without the fear of unconsummated potential, and without the fear of failure.  I know myself, and I have a good idea of what holds me back in achieving this state of freedom....it is the fear of these particular things.  I don't want to be confined in the same roles I occupy now. I am far too comfortable and familiar with mediocrity, and yet simultaneously discontent.  I want to have the courage to open up my plans and live freely, expressively, and dynamically.  I am proud to say actually, that I am working towards these changes every day--being more true to myself, more open and expressive, and more confident.

"Listen to the music of the moment people dance and sing/We're just one big family/And it's our God-intended right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved."  In these particular lines, lie the truth of our human existence.  Our ability to connect with one another and recognize each other as family, creates joy--a music of the heart that only expands when shared with others.  In that recognition of our divine sparks, we also find that it is our God-intended right to be loved.  We all deserve two things in this life: to love well and to be well-loved, and in order to ensure that we have those things, we need to move from a place of love in all that we do.


"So I won't hesitate no more, no more/It cannot wait I'm sure/There's no need to complicate/Our time is short/This is our fate, I'm yours."   We should not hesitate to take action in our own lives to achieve those things we think important and meaningful.  We humans have about 75 years on this earth, little time to get things done, to understand ourselves, to appreciate the world around us. We shouldn't ever waste a minute of it because it goes so quickly.  We should commit every day to living the best life possible with an open heart and with gratitude for our blessings, and surrender our desires to the universe believing that we can manifest them into existence.  Write your own love letter to the universe, listing the aspects of your life for which you are grateful, defining the parts you wish to change, and those goals you want to attain.


"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz

No comments:

Post a Comment