Saturday, February 11, 2012

Blessings for the Birthday Boy

My 13-Year-Old Nephew Jon and my Almost 73-Year-Old Dad on Jon's Birthday
I consider my father and my nephew, Jonathan to be two of the funniest, wittiest, charming people I know.  My dad can talk to anyone, make them feel at ease, and entertain them with his stories, his jokes, and his smile.  Jon cracks jokes as well, possesses a good heart, and truly enjoys being around people. My nephew, his oldest grandchild, follows right in my father's footsteps--so much so that they even look alike and have similar mannerisms. Therefore, I find it ironic that these two people don't often get along very well.  They share similar personalities and temperaments, but it has only been recently that they've consistently enjoyed each other's company.  I love this photograph because they look happy, and more so they look happy being together.  I look at it as a harbinger of good things to come in their relationship.

Jack, Jon's Mom, Me and Jon
Tonight we celebrated Jon's thirteenth birthday.  This past year circumstances have been difficult for Jonathan and his family so it sincerely pleased me that he thoroughly enjoyed his family dinner and his party.  I think tonight's success constitutes an omen for good things to come and an overall improvement in his life in general.    My sweet baby is growing up. I remember him as the happiest of infants, vibrant, always smiling, and full of laughter and affection.  He won my heart immediately and I will always hold a special place for him there. He's grown in so many ways over the years. Physically he's been mature for quite some time.  He's 5'10, a solidly-built boy, and wears a size 13 shoe.  Recently his emotional and mental maturity have finally started to catch up with his physical growth, and I am amazed every day by his development.  He has so much potential and I am certain he will fulfill it.

Jon and his Happy Napper

Even though he is growing up, getting taller and bigger, and more like an adult, he still remains a child at heart. He has an innate silliness and fun-loving personality that will serve him well throughout his lifetime. No matter what negative issues occur in his life, he always bounces back to his jovial, happy nature.  His reactions to his presents and cake just reinforced this belief I hold about him. The World's Largest Gummy Bear and a Happy Napper comprised his two favorite birthday presents.  He loves the silliest things the best. His goofiness reminds me a lot of me when I was his age.  I think his resiliency to troubles and difficulties stems from his ability to completely enjoy himself when he is enjoying himself and his openness to allowing the little things to tickle his soul. I love that quality about him, and I love my nephew Jonathan so very much.  On his thirteenth birthday, an important milestone on his journey to becoming a man, I wish him only the best of luck, love and happiness and that this year is filled with blessings aplenty.

Abby, Jack, Birthday Boy, and Gray

Jon Blowing Out His Candles

2 comments:

  1. Love it, what a wonderful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your comment. :)

      Delete