Monday, September 19, 2011

Boomerang! Extraordinary Smacks Me Upside the Head!

Today I had an interesting conversation with a friend regarding what makes someone extraordinary as opposed to just average.  I've been thinking about that all day.  What comprises that one indefineable thing that causes someone to be special, outstanding, amazing?  Each of us are unique in our own way, we have our individual talents and abilities, personalities, and points of view, but the majority of us do not fall within the category of extraordinary.  We are who we are...nothing more, nothing less.  At least, that used to be what I believed.  My thoughts have now changed on this subject.

My friend argued that the extraordinary factor, the thing which pushes one person above the crowd, remains a very simple fact.  It is so simple that when he asked me what I thought it might be, I waxed eloquent for a good five minutes before he couldn't contain his giggling.  He gave me just enough rope on that one...
Anyway the big shocker is that the extraordinary facet is just the extra...the little something extra in effort that one puts forth in daily living.  He state that it was the act of giving that bit extra of oneself to others--the sharing with others, the supporting of others, the efforts to help others when needed, that made a person extraordinary.

I liked that idea.  Making other people feel happy, supported, positive, comfortable, and whatnot can be an extraordinary thing to do.  It spreads joy, it creates a lightness of being, it multiplies the love one has for life and mankind in general.  I never understand why it is so hard for so many people to realize that you get back what you give in this life.  If you share your extra with someone else, your extraordinary comes right back to you. It's a wonderful concept that I think everyone should embrace.  Let's all be extraordinary, shall we?  Sounds like a plan to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment