Saturday, September 10, 2011

Refuse to Fracture--Recent Poems

Getting in touch with my creativity has been great over the past few weeks.  I don't care if people don't like my poems, if they don't understand them, or if they even read them.  To me, the represent the reemergence of  me.  Enjoy.


Refuse to Fracture

I held it together for so long
that I''ve forgotten how to break.
A million tiny pieces
held by grit and hardness
cemented into
stone, refuse to yield
or fracture
for your
love.

Year of Sundays

Slight boredom and
vague unease at this, my birthday.
Thirty-nine, such a year of Sundays.
A feeling of everything being half-over
and only half-done
permeates all I do.

The scent of almost, not yet
sticks to me and I wake
with it in my nose,
the taste upon my lips,
rubbing my eyes to be rid of this
discontent.

I wonder if I should throw a party.
All the incarnations of me could attend
and we would compare notes.
Would middle age repel youth,
while adolescence mocks us all?

Instead, let's have some cake,
and take this sleepy Sunday feeling
feed it confetti and charms
until full to bursting and
I explode into
a whole new
me.
August Evening

When twilight purples the sky,
the sound of playing children slips away.
The buzz of fluorescent lights
from phone booths and corner markets
permeates the summer-stifled city blocks.

She sits on a front porch stoop--
denim cutoffs and a red halter testify to the heat.
The blonde toddler rests, snuggled between damp knees
and dozes to cadences of stories told.

Leaning back on a step, her husband
balances his weight on one elbow
and sips iced tea. With a smile,
he offers her the beaded, dripping glass.

Smoke from their cigarettes drifts upward
past potted petunias and open windows
to hang in the yellowed beam of sidewalk lamps.

Softly, party music rides the air
and somewhere down the street, laughter
carouses on a humid breeze.

The Pick-up Line

"Loneliness has its magic," he said.
Words drew me in, a moth to flame.
Dancing brightly ''round my head
buzzing bees, hard to tame.
Invite me to love
a soul like yours.
Forever,
always,
yes

No comments:

Post a Comment