Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Fine Art of Sucking it Up!

I have never been a person who tolerates whining very well, and recently my patience has been stretched thin with an inundation of bitching and moaning.  No one can say that I am not empathetic to other people's problems.  I listen to my friends and family members when they undergo trying times, I offer my assistance in any way that will be helpful to them, and when asked, I give advice about how to solve problems.  I even have a knack at discovering the root causes of their respective issues.  Nonetheless, I loathe when a person refuses to do anything about his or her difficulties except gripe.

I am a firm believer in the philosophy of "fish or cut bait."  Make a decision and then move forward pragmatically to achieve the results you want.  Don't constantly complain about your misery and expect me not to get irritated when you do nothing to fix it.  I think everyone should learn the fine art of sucking it up.  Go ahead and have a pity party, and then move the hell on.  Do something proactive, make changes, or whatever you have to do to make things better.  Whining will not move a person anywhere except deeper into a cycle of disatisfaction with one's life.

Don't sit there and tell me, "I've done that and it didn't work," or "Things will never change and it doesn't matter what I do," or "It's just so hard."  Please!  Anything worth having in this life is worth working hard for, and if you are unhappy then you are the only person who can change that state.  The only thing whining accomplishes is pissing me off, as well as reinforcing a person's negative state of mind. 

Be introspective with some perspective on yourself and you will be able to see what needs to be done in order to craft a plan to emerge from your problems.  Many times it will be a difficult, emotional, and even painful endeavor to move beyond what causes a person grief, but achieving a state of satisfaction and contentment will be well worth it, and this cannot be done if you bitch and moan about your problems.  I am not advocating stuffing your emotions away and not feeling them and facing them.  I am not asking you to stifle the expression of your pain or anger.  I am just asking you to acknowledge the problem, understand the problem and fix the problem.

So, please, for the love of sweet Jesus Christ and all things holy, put on your big girl/big boy underpants and suck it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment