Friday, October 21, 2011

Friends: Life's Charming Gardeners

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." ----Marcel Proust


This past week I've had little sleep, many stresses, and a sincere desire to escape to somewhere calm and relaxed.  Nothing overwhelmingly bad occurred so I have managed to muddle my way through the past seven days fairly gracefully on my own. Nonetheless, times like these illustrate to me the necessity of friendship in a person's life.  Without the support and caring of friends most people would struggle through troubles in a much more difficult fashion.

Friends keep the sense of isolation and loneliness that we all feel sometimes at bay.  Even when they live far away, the knowledge that someone thinks of you and cares what happens in your life makes hard circumstances more bearable. I believe in the power of positive thought, of directing one's energy to aid someone else, and this past week I have felt the love of many friends sent my way. For me, just the power of thought creates a tangible difference in my life and my feelings.

Friendship embodies the idea that all humans are connected on a fundamental level.  We seek each other out to fulfill those parts of us that need reinforcement and strengthening. We also seek friends so that we may share of ourselves with them. Giving of our time, thoughts, ideas, energy and love only creates a greater abundance of that in ourselves.

I am so grateful for the friends in my life.  They truly enrich my experiences, my hardships, my joys.  Friends make everything deeper, more fulfilling, more meaningful. I appreciated them this week more than they will ever know. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment