Friday, October 28, 2011

Tightrope Walker

Recently, I have had several conversations with some people online that made me consider what constitutes the necessary requirements for self-motivation and personal drive.  I have noticed that some people just determine what they want to do and then absolutely go for it.  They become single-minded, focused machines whose sole intent comprises accomplishing whatever goals they have set for themselves.  I am amazed at some of the lengths that people go to to achieve their heart's desire.  They forgo fun, entertainment, personal satisfaction, relationships, all kinds of things just to become what they consider to be successful.  While I admire this doggedness, I wonder if sometimes they do a disservice to themselves by not allowing for more room for personal growth and emotional fulfillment.  Sure, they work diligently to make themselves a good life, but when they finally attain it, will they be devoid of a rich inner life at the same time?  And what use is a high-end lifestyle if a person doesn't have the emotional, mental, and spiritual means to truly appreciate and enjoy it?

On the other hand, certain people in this world lack even the merest hint of self-motivation.  They choose to do nothing at all unless poked and prodded by someone else.  Usually when motivated in this fashion, they do half-assed work and take no pride in their finishing of a task.  To me this type of behavior damages a person equally as too much drive.  If a person does nothing all day and every day or does so little as to not have pride in his or her own work, there cannot be present a rich emotional and mental life either.  That requires a certain level of self-respect that can only be created and maintained through accomplishment and success.  And those two things are dependent upon getting off one's hind end and doing something worthwhile.

Much like a tightrope walker, a balance needs to be struck.  Truth lies in the statement, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."  Truth also resides in, "Unity of purpose knows only victory."  A person should have motivation and drive to succeed and to achieve personal and professional goals.  However, in order to lead a happy, well-developed and personally-satisfying life, one needs also to remember to have quiet time, entertainment, and meaningful relationships.  A garden does not grow unless someone tends it.  A person really needs to tend his or her own garden through a balanced combination of work and play. 

In regard to my own situation, I wish I were more like the people I spoke to this past week.  I work hard every day, but I don't necessarily work hard at the things that are important.  I often avoid working diligently at what means the most to me because I fear failing to meet my goals in regard to them.  Fear holds me back and inhibits my personal drive.  I expend my energies on trivial fluff, and I am very good at getting those things done, but not so hot at putting myself out there to accomplish the bigger objectives in my life.

I would like to have a higher level of personal desire and motivation to achieve things that are dear to my heart.  I would like to become more focused on the accomplishment of those intangible goals that I set and then allow to meander their way through my life.  If I could gain a keener drive to get things done, my life might be quite different in certain areas.  I have an abundant inner life, rich and full of creativity, imagination, love, and hope.  I am happy with it, but not completely satisfied because I do not have the external success to go along with it.  I suppose then, I should reinforce my motivation more often and force myself to move outside my comfort levels in regard to personal drive.  In essence, I need to get off my ass, stop hesitating, and get some important things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment