Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Rainbows and Butterflies: Symbols of the Unseen

Have you ever noticed that when something major in your life occurs, it seems as if people whose circumstances mirror yours,  pop up unexpectedly all over the place?  For instance, if you become pregnant  every third person you see has a baby belly.  You never noticed before just how many mothers-to-be roam the earth but now that you have joined their ranks, they show up everywhere.  The same thing happens if you break a bone and wear a cast, you see more broken people wandering around.  This phenomena also happens with baby names.  My husband and I looked for a name that wasn't too common and sounded pretty rolling off the tongue for our daughter.  We chose Abigail.  I hadn't even met an Abigail in twenty years, so I thought that the name would be relatively unique.  Now there are so many Abby's in my daughter's age group that the coaches on her soccer league call all the girls by their last names. 

All of this happens, not because we draw these people into our immediate surroundings just by the mere fact of sharing a condition or circumstance with them, but because we automatically become more aware of shared connections.  People constantly seek out connection and understanding with others, without even realizing it.  One divine spark searching for another will find it through common ground.  We stive to find reinforcement of the knowledge that we do not live as solitary, self-contained units.  We search continually for shared experiences even though we don't consciously acknowledge our quest for connection.  Most people go through their entire lives and can never articulate this seeking.  They feel it, they witness it in being more aware of people with similar circumstances, and they may even obliquely speak of it from time to time, but they don't truly explore the truth of it. And the truth is so much bigger than anyone realizes.

Lately I've been thinking about all of the parts of life we choose to ignore but that remain present right before our eyes.  If you took the time to pay close attention to all the little, random events that occur every single day, you would understand that coincidences don't exist and that the world is a much deeper, richer, and varied place than we assume it to be.  Acknowledging that hidden world of inter-connectedness even in the slightest degree, opens up a person to an infinite number of profound experiences.

I began to notice things like this after the death of my grandfather in 1994 when I was 21.  I had a life-altering experience at the moment he died, and I think it made me conscious of things I had never paid attention to before. I began to actively notice tiny instances where something would happen or pop up and I just knew that they weren't random or coincidental.  Those moments triggered in me a watchfulness that has continued to increase as the years pass.  I began to pay attention to signs and signals and often, I would feel as if my grandfather visited me when these things occurred.  Many times, lights would flicker when I thought about him or when I really wished I had his advice.  When that would happen, I knew he had listened to me, had acknowledged me.  After my mother passed away, my understanding of the unseen aspects of the world only intensified.

I know people who see a random penny on the street and believe that their loved one placed it there.  Some people see yellow butterflies and for them it's a departed friend saying hello. Some object usually associated with a loved one who has died will become a symbol indicating the presence of that person's soul.  And the thing is, these pennies, butterflies, ladybugs, and others show up when most needed usually.  Almost all people experience this one type of seeing into the hidden part of the world.  It's common, but it's not recognized for what it is...a true example of the interconnection between all things. 

For me, my mother shows up with rainbows.  On the day of her memorial service, in January (not a typical time for rainbows in New Mexico) a giant double rainbow appeared through the clouds over Capitan.  I knew she came to say goodbye and to tell us all would be well.  For the past seven years, when I needed her the most or I sought reassurance that things would be well, rainbows appeared.  For me, these sightings were not and are not random coincidence. The rainbows provide tangible proof for my beliefs, and I am deeply grateful for the comfort they bring to me.  I am happy that I have gotten to a point in my life where I actively look for the hidden, the unseen, the unacknowledged.  My eyes and heart stay open so that I see and feel all the things that this life of ours provides. Abundance exists, you just have to choose to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment