Monday, October 10, 2011

Guess What?!! I'm Gay! (National Coming Out Day, Oct. 11th)

National Coming Out Day, founded in 1988, is an internationally observed day for "coming out of the closet" for homosexuals and a day for discussion regarding gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people.

I fully support LGBT causes, even though I am about as straight as a person can get.  Many of my friends throughout my lifetime have been gay and lesbian, and one of my closest friends actually rocked the drag queen circuit for several years before giving up the heels, earrings and wigs.  However, he still retains his utter and complete fabulosity, which I attempt to emulate in small doses.  Another close friend of mine inspires me to greater heights of "Martha-ness" with his culinary skill, impeccable interior design, and Victorian tea parties fit for a queen. Recently, I have made several good friends within my town's lesbian community and I am enjoying their company immensely.  The only thing these aforementioned people have in common, though, remains their sexuality....they are all homosexuals, but who really cares? 

I like these people for who they are, not who they do.  I couldn't care less one way or another about their personal sexual orientation.  I am drawn to my friends because of their unique personalities, their humor, kindness, intelligence, and character.  I know the same qualities attract me to straight people. I don't pay attention to sexual orientation because for me, it comprises only one small facet of a person's life.  I like you for you, or I don't.  Sexual orientation, much like color, religion, or ethnicity never enters into my equation of what constitutes an interesting person or a good friend.

I recognize, however, that many people don't feel the same as I do.  For them, being LGBT signifies an innate perversity, character flaw, and suspect morals.  Homosexuals, bisexuals, and the transgendered frighten these narrow-minded people with their difference,  their "otherness", and they allow that fear to breed hatred, contempt, and discrimination.  This climate of hostility and negativity makes it difficult for some LGBT people to acknowledge to themselves that they have a non-straight sexual orientation, and even more painful to announce it to the ones they love and the world at large. 

I have heard coming out stories from my friends, and I felt their pain, their discomfort, and ultimately their satisfaction at having recognized who they were and sharing that knowledge with others.  I've seen so many students struggle with being gay or lesbian and how damaging it can be to hold all their feelings inside for fear of being tormented, bullied, and even physically assaulted by other students.  I've also seen them mature and come back to visit secure in themselves, and happy for the first time in their lives once they accepted who they are. 

"Coming out" marks an incredibly important turning point in a LGBT person's life.  It signifies the first step toward self-acceptance and self-love.  It allows a person to fully acknowledge oneself and it engenders them with a renewed confidence about their own worthiness and validity as a human being.  It is important for those who love LGBT people to be understanding, supportive and accepting of them.  This support makes a difficult time a bit easier, and if you love someone, isn't that your utlimate goal?  Friends and family should provide unconditional love, comfort, and acceptance.  We should also support LGBT causes in addition to National Coming Out Day.  LGBT people, just like anyone else, deserve happiness, respect, and the opportunity to live full lives.  They should be afforded all the legal protections and privileges afforded to straight Americans, and this includes marriage equality, adoption rights, and protection from discrimination and abuse.

So, in honor of National Coming Out Day, I would like to tell all my LGBT friends how proud I am of you all for being brave enough to acknowledge yourselves and to share that knowledge with the world.  I am lucky to be your friend, and not just because many of you are too fabulous for words, or you have an incedible sense of style, or your snarky queen-like humor amuses, but because you are you.  All my friends have wonderful aspects and I appreciate being a part of your lives every day.  I promise, as well, to continue supporting LGBT causes and equality for everyone, because that's just what friends do for one another.  We try to make this world just a little better for the people who live in it, especially those whom we care about and cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment